Module 14: The Wire and Educational Inequalities No unread replies.11 reply. Thi
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
Module 14: The Wire and Educational Inequalities
No unread replies.11 reply.
This week students will watch a few clips from the popular show “the Wire” set in Baltimore, MD. The clips I have selected come from season 4, which is mostly about the public school system. Watch the clips and analyze the following questions. Make sure to use the class readings and respond to two classmates.
1. What kind of challenges do the students in West Baltimore face?
2. What kind of challenges do the teachers face? Why is it hard to attract teachers to teach in poor or “lower-achieving” schools? What is the cause of “teacher shortages?”
3. What is “social promotion” and how is it demonstrated in these clips? Do these students ultimately benefit from this promotion?
4. Are the educational inequalities illustrated in the “Wire” just present in Baltimore, MD? Are these issues present in many public schools across the country?
5. How are the issues presented in these clips related to poverty and lack of resources?
6. Lastly, why do you think the principal was happy to hear that Prez used to be a police officer?
Prez gets hired (Links to an external site.)
Prez gets hired
S4E04 Social promotion (Links to an external site.)
S4E04 Social promotion
The Truth about Education, from The Wire (Links to an external site.)
The Truth about Education, from The Wirehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uonc7BEZ4g&ab_channel=litlmike3