What images come to mind when you think of Native Americans and First Nations pe
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
What images come to mind when you think of Native Americans and First Nations peoples? Many people think of historical representations of indigenous tribes and not what Native American and First Nations people’s lives look like today. Understanding the experience of a client with indigenous heritage means also knowing about the historical influences that have shaped their present-day context.
As a social worker, you may be associated with the powers that tried to systematically eradicate indigenous cultures through government policies of assimilation and massacre. While you did not engage in these acts, your client who has been impacted by the historical trauma may harbor an inherent mistrust of anyone representing the dominant culture. How might this affect you client’s professional relationship with you?
In this Discussion, you consider the impact of oppression on Native American and First Nations peoples, the effect this has on worker-client relationships, and social work’s ethical responsibility to address historical and institutional discrimination.
Sue, D. W., Rasheed, M. N., & Rasheed, J. M. (2016). Multicultural social work practice: A competency based approach to diversity and social justice (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
• Chapter 4, “Understanding the Sociopolitical Implications of Oppression and Power in Social Work Practice”
• Chapter 14, “Culturally Competent Social Work Practice with Native Americans/First Nations Peoples and Alaska Natives” (pp. 420–430)
• Chapter 14, “Culturally Competent Social Work Practice with Persons with Disabilities Individuals” (pp. 485–491)
National Association of Social Workers. (2008). Code of ethics of the National Association of Social Workers. Retrieved from https://www.socialworkers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=KZmmbz15evc%3d&portalid=0
Response to the following. Use APA 7th edition citation and references.
• Explain the ways that historical oppression and institutional discrimination have impacted Native Americans and First Nations peoples.
• Describe how historical oppression might influence reactions to social workers by Native Americans and First Nations peoples.
• Explain the social worker’s responsibility to broader society in addressing the influence of historical and institutional discrimination according to the NASW Code of Ethics (section 6)