PROJECT VIETNAM: CREATING A PERSONA; BUILDING A RESEARCH-BASED NARRATIVE Who Are
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
CREATING A PERSONA; BUILDING A RESEARCH-BASED NARRATIVE
Who Are You and What Does Vietnam Mean to You?
During this unit, you have read Erdrich’s The Red Convertible, researched PTSD, viewed documentaries and read sources about the Vietnam War. Now, you will write a 5 Paragraph, Research-Based Narrative about a Character Who Lives in the Vietnam War era. You will create a fictional character that lives in this time period, and you will WRITE A NARRATIVE ESSAY FROM THIS CHARACTER’S PERSPECTIVE.
Why did America get involved in Vietnam? What events started the war? What was the average age of people who fought in Vietnam? What was the demographic of many of the soldiers? How long did the war last? How did Americans who were NOT in Vietnam feel about the war? Who was in favor of the war, and why? Who was not in favor of the war, and why?
Use an online dictionary to find a definition for the word “PERSONA.” Use the definition to enrich your understanding of the term, and remember that a persona is a CHARACTER who tells a story. For this essay, you will create a persona, a character, who is living in America in 1968. You will write a short, 5 paragraph story from your character’s perspective. Your job is to tell the story of an 18-21 year old American and his/her view of the Vietnam War—who is your character, where is the person from, what is going on with them in 1968?
Before writing your story, fill out the CHARACTER SHEET below. After you have completed the CHARACTER SHEET, review the Essay Requirements on the next page. Finally, making sure to review all of the requirements, write your 5 Paragraph, Research-Based Narrative. Your Character Sheet and Essay is due on _______________________. It is worth 30pts.
REMEMBER TO HAND IN YOUR COMPLETED CHARACTER SHEET WITH YOUR ESSAY. ATTACH A SCAN OR PIC OR YOUR STUDENT ID OR LICENSE AS THE LAST PAGE OF YOUR ESSAY.
It is 1968, and America is at war in Vietnam. Write a 5-7 paragraph story about a character, aged 18-21, who is alive during this time. Who is your character, what is his/her “situation?” How is this character dealing with the Vietnam War? Answer the questions below in complete sentences. Attach your answers as the first page of your narrative essay. You can jot down your answers below each question.
1. What is your character’s name?
2. What is his/her age? What does this person look like?
3. Where does he/she live—what city and state? Alone? With parents or roommates? On a college campus?
4. Does your character work or go to school?
5. Is your character in favor of the war, or against it? WHY? (Reference the assigned readings and documentaries to create your answer)
6. Has your character been asked to serve in the war? Does he/she have family members or friends who are serving in the war?
7. What is your character’s biggest issue concerning the war? Is it against the character’s beliefs? Is the person from a military background? Can the person afford to avoid the war? Should the person be in favor of the war, in light of their background?
8. Now, using the answers that you created above, WRITE A 5-7 PARAGRAPH NARRATIVE ESSAY TELLING A STORY ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER. Be sure to READ THE ESSAY REQUIREMENTS CAREFULLY
9. YOU SHOULD WRITE FROM THE “I” PERSPECTIVE—write as if YOU ARE THE CHARACTER