Unit 4 portfolio- Literary Analysis Compare/Contrast Paper- Here is a VIDEO cove
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
Unit 4 portfolio- Literary Analysis Compare/Contrast Paper-
Here is a VIDEO covering this whole assignment.
Read: Carefully read €A Sound of Thunderѕ pgs. 288-300 in Pathways and €Nethergraveѕ pages 314-324 in Pathways. Here is a link to our textbooks.
Your Prompt: A theme is what an author wants readers to learn or to take away from their story. In this essay, you will compare and contrast the themes of the science fiction stories €A Sound of Thunderѕ and €Nethergrave.ѕ You will determine which story©s theme is more effective. In other words, if the goal of each author is to inspire readers to take action on an issue, which story do you think impacts readers more WHY? (Hint: comment on how the themes are conveyed through plot, characters and storytelling.) In other words, after reading each of these stories, do you (as a reader) think differently about an issue these authors bring up? Which gets the message across better?
Remember: Do not use first or second person in a formal essay (do not use €Iѕ €meѕ or €youѕ; use third person (he, she, they). Watch this video for help writing in third person.
Length: 2 pages double-spaced in Times 12 font. About 500-800 words long.
MLA format: Please format your first page using MLA formatting. What is MLA formatting? Watch this short video on setting up your first page, double spacing, using Times 12 font, and using author name in parentheses for quotes. Please watch this video on how to use MLA formatting and look at the example set up below.
Rough Draft: You will NOT submit a rough draft, but you may revise your final draft if you are unhappy with your grade. We will turn in a final copy only at the end of Unit 4 (4.10).
Structure: You will use 5 paragraph essay structure for this essay (this means introduction, three body paragraphs, conclusion). Suggested set up for the paper:
· Introduction: Grab the attention of your reader by talking about what motivates people to do things, etc. You can start with a question or statement. Lead into your thesis statement that you will put at the end of the introduction. For your thesis, you will claim which story is more effective in inspiring readers to action. Include the name of the story and clearly state which is more effective.
· Body paragraph One: Talk about the themes in €A Sound of Thunderѕ
Transition into talking about the themes that are just in €A Sound of Thunder.ѕ What does the author say about the benefits of technology vs. the ways it is destructive? Think about the environment. Quote like this: In €A Sound of Thunder,ѕ the character Travis describes environmental effects: €Crushing certain plants could add up infinitesimallyѕ (Bradbury). Think about what the story says about respecting nature and how this story views technology advances vs protecting nature. Use at least one quote from the story to support your ideas about the theme. Start the body paragraph with a topic sentence that tells us what this body paragraph is about.
· Body paragraph Two: Talk about the themes in €Nethergraveѕ
Now, transition into talking about the themes that are just in €Nethergrave.ѕ What does the author say about the benefits of technology vs. the ways it is destructive? Think about virtual reality. Include at least one quote from the story to support your ideas (see above).
· Body paragraph Three: This is where you answer the prompt question: if the goal of the author is to inspire readers to take action in their own lives, which story do you think is more effective and WHY? (Hint: think about how the themes are conveyed through plot, characters and storytelling.) Use third-person like this: €Nethergraveѕ is the more effective in inspiring the reader to take action because the author uses characters who do this, has a plot that talks about this? etc.
· Conclusion: In the conclusion of your paper, you will restate your thesis from the introduction. Restating the thesis means that you will say it in a different way. Do not simply copy and paste the thesis statement from your introduction. You will elaborate on your opinion as to which story you think is better and why you feel this way. Also in your conclusion, you will briefly sum up the major points of your paper, highlighting what you feel is most important.
How the paper will be graded: Please take a look at the rubric for this paper, but I will be looking for MLA formatting, use of 5 paragraph structure, quotes (at least two), length of paper, ideas on theme, grammar, and mechanics.
How to start: Start your own Word document and scroll down to use the picture below to see how to set up and structure your paper. You can use this as a guide, but make sure you are making up your own introduction and thesis statement.