Watch the American and British versions of Shameless (Pilot Episode) carefully a
Watch the American and British versions of Shameless (Pilot Episode) carefully and multiple times if
possible, and write a 500-word analytical essay focusing on the following:
– What kind of narratological and stylistic/aesthetic divergences did you see? These can include
the length of each episode, the plot development, character portrayal (protagonist,
antagonists), the setting, the camera work, and film aesthetic realization, the placement of
program within the broadcasting schedule and lineup, its programming profile, the number of
seasons and/or episodes the series ran, and other pertinent information.
– What kind of factors (social, cultural, industrial, political, economic) do you think played a role in
making those modifications during the reproduction?
– What are some of the crucial issues that these modifications seem to raise or reveal with regard
to sociocultural differences in the perception and interpretation of the same television program
by producers in the two countries?
– If you think the two shows are pretty similar to each other in almost all respects, then you
should discuss why you think the producers felt a need to remake this show in the US rather
than airing the British version.
– Finally, if you were to remake this show, what would you change and/or what would you keep
the same, and why?
For this assignment, you will be graded on your ability to engage in a critical conversation with the two
versions of the program to point out the manner in which localization strategies have been
implemented. That means I expect you to think deeply about the modifications made in the localized
(American) version and reflect upon the social, cultural, economic, political, and televisual factors
underlying strategies for adapting the format for the US.
Shameless US episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/158XXgqdsVOBY6tZpgRtWqXyT30I9J3wk/view?usp=sharing
Shameless UK episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kf3_kOUK8OuwtHvaubUsuKYiR7R-bhdn/view?usp=sharing